State of the Art of Investing: Issue 21
13 Trends Significantly Impacting the Investment Profession (and current links to relevant information on them)
Benjamin Graham once said that the true investment professional would "develop a more professional attitude towards his work and a keener interest in maintaining and advancing the standards of his calling." Those standards continue to advance, as most investment professionals can attest.
To keep the CFA program current and relevant, CFA Institute continuously interviews investment management practitioners, employers and regulators through its practice analysis. The 2017 practice analysis identified 13 trends likely to have a significant impact on the investment profession over the next three years. As I advance my own knowledge of these trends I will try to share links to interesting resources in posts like this one. Opinions expressed are mine, not those of CFA Institute. Whether you find them useful or can suggest improvement, please let me know (both so I can learn more and so I can make these posts more useful to others.)
The impact of regulation on investment decision making
The role of "big data" in financial analysis
- The Wall Street jobs most (and least) at risk from automation
- A curated list of AI and machine learning resources
The effects of the low/negative interest rate environment
The effects of pension funding shortfalls
The use of robo-advisors in private wealth management
- Bringing financial services to underserved markets
Increased global demand for alternative investments
Risk factor asset allocation approaches
- The complete guide to factor-based investing
The need for investment managers with fintech skills
- Understanding blockchain (Podcast)
- The blockchain investors (podcast)
- Fintech and Regtech in a nutshell
- Beyond fintech: Disruptive potential in financial services
The need for investment managers with soft skills
- Become more interesting by exploiting contradictions in your skill and personality stacks
- IQ gets you in the door. Emotional intelligence gets you ahead.
- Time tested techniques for gaining influence
"Smart Beta" strategies
Greater demand for active investment management
The role of ESG factors in investing
- Do ESG screens matter? (Free webinar)
- Are ethical investors penalized?
- What role should corporations play in society?
The importance of understanding financial market history
Anything else I should be reading?
Photo by htmvalerio